Jan 31, 2013

[Movie Review] The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey



I can still remember having nightmares after watching the first film in which Gollum appeared. Yeah, I'm a scaredy-cat that way.  But in all fairness, creepiness aside, I think Gollum has the most tragic story among the characters in LOTR and among any other things I feel truly sad for him. That said, I am most happy to see him back in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

The film makers who launched the words "My precious" into super stardom is back with the story that preceded the events in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I can't tell you how elated I was when I learned that The Hobbit is going to be a movie. I missed everyone in LOTR trilogy and wouldn't miss it for the world!





Gandalf! How I miss thee! and Frodo, and Elrond and Lady Galadriel and Gollum! Even Saruman's presence is welcomed. Let's parteyyy!!! Seeing everyone again in the big screen is truly a sweet moment for a Tolkien fan like me.


Beyond that, of course, is a magical tale that took place once again in the magical world of Middle Earth. What struck me most as the core of the story is Bilbo's transformation from an uptight hobbit to an adventurer.


At first he thought that leaving home is an absurd idea but his curiosity got the better of him and decided to go on a journey with a bunch of dwarves and a wizard. Along the way his resolve got tested a lot of times. He was tempted at every turn to head back home and go back living peacefully in The Shire where he belongs. Ultimately, after putting his life at risk Bilbo held his ground and decided to help Prince Thorin get back what is rightfully his.


Bilbo Baggins' unexpected journey reflects that of our own reality. Most of the time we are hesitant to spread our wings and leave our comfort zones because we are afraid to take on heavy trials and failures. Same as Bilbo, sometimes it just takes a split-second decision or an out-of-the-blue idea to stir our lives to a different direction and have the adventure that we've waited all our lives.

As Gandalf said, "Home is now behind you, the world is ahead."

Bring it on!






No comments:

Post a Comment