Jul 19, 2014

Spoiler Alert!

"Spoiler won't stop people from buying the book, they never have - all it will do is diminish their pleasure in the book." - JK Rowling

The Harry Potter creator released that statement around the release of Deathly Hallows and she couldn't say it better than that. I remember I banned myself from accessing the internet until I finished the book for fear that the finale of my Harry Potter journey would be ruined by spoilers posted online. That was seven years ago and the internet has changed a lot, internet trolls are everywhere nowadays. Those trolls spout out spoilers like their lives depended on it. Apparently the warning "Spoiler Alert" are not part of their vocabulary.

Over the years I have devised my own defense mechanism against spoilers. When new books, drama episodes and movies are released, I avoid social networks sites at all cost. SNS is a breeding ground of trolls, just so you know. It is better to hide under a rock during those period. Just like I don't want to be spoiled, I also don't like spoiling others. When someone asks me about certain plot twist or outcome (of a novel or drama), it's part of my routine to ask multiple times if they REALLY want to be spoiled and only then, if they are 100% sure, will I give out the information they want. The same goes when I went online, I put up the sign spoiler alert before I write major spoilers.


I have this sudden urge to write about spoilers because of the recent kerfuffle at Dramabeans when a reader went ahead and spoiled the viewing public by revealing a huge plot twist on the Korean remake of Fated To Love You. Dude, That was not cool. Even I whose a big fan of the original and knew the entire plot of the drama was pretty pissed when I read that comment. Fated To Love You is an amazing drama that should be savored up to the last drop of awesome. The Korean version is doing a good job and it's even better than the original if I may say so myself. First-time watchers are having a blast and their experience should not be ruined by shameless trolls.

In true essence of fangirling, fans should support each other in good times and in bad times and not ruin the fun for those who came in late. That will be all, sorry for ranting!

No comments:

Post a Comment