May 21, 2014

Five things I learned about blogging (A 5th Anniversary Post)

Five years ago I started this blog out of boredom and I didn't really expect that it would go on this long. Over the years I have watched my blog evolved from a strictly personal blog to a place in the Web where I write my thoughts on dramas, movies and just about anything I feel like writing about. Five years is long enough time for me to pick up a few lessons in blogging and I'm going to share it here in my anniversary post.




Here are the five things I learned in my five years of blogging:

1. Write your passion

My blog has gone through a lot of changes in the past five years but one thing remained unchanged and that is the topic I write about. Most of it, if not all, are pop culture related because I am a fanatic and it is easy to write my thoughts on things I am most passionate about.

2. Patience is a virtue

Just because I write about popular topics doesn't mean I got netizens reading my posts right off the bat. Keeping a blog requires more than that, one has to possess a considerable amount of patience to keep on blogging before views start trickling in. It took years before my blog reached the thousand views mark.


3. Update regularly

Once the blog got a steady stream of views I know I have to keep it coming and the solution is to update regularly. I admit I scratched my head at the thought of regular updates because that's a huge leap from my initial goal of just write when I feel like writing, but I caved in ultimately. Now I have this unwritten rule to write at least one post per month.

4. Stick to the truth

Write only the truth because readers can easily sniff a fraud. My blog is a personal slash review blog so when I do reviews I make it a point to write what I truly feel about the material I am reviewing. My opinion may not agree with everyone else's but I'd rather write something unpleasant than gloss it over with sweet words that does not reflect my thoughts at all.

5. Love what you do

Last but not the least, it's easy to lose interest in this kind of hobby if you don't love what you do. I love to write and I like to share my thoughts, so here I am, blogging my heart out even if I don't get anything out of it.

Happy five years!

Five years is no joke and I admit I am proud of my lazy self for surviving this long in the blogosphere. I don't know where the road will take me from here on, I might stop blogging altogether, but I'm happy to have gone this long writing my passion and whatnot.

Happy birthday, blog! I'm so proud of you!



No comments:

Post a Comment